Hello summer! If you are staycationing in the glorious South West of England then you’ve come to the right place to find out what’s on in Devon this summer and the top things to do in Devon in August 2022. I’ve even got ideas for things to do when it rains.
Got a while to stay? Here’s our BIG guide to family holidays in Devon.
Events in Devon August 2022
Here’s what’s on in Devon for families this summer.
Sheep dogs and falconry show at Borough Farm – selected dates in August 2022
For a real Devon country experience visit Borough Farm to see their sheep dog and falconry show at 6pm every Wednesday until September. Booking is not necessary.
Find out more on the Borough Farm website.
Sidmouth Folk Festival, Sidmouth – 29 July to 5 August, 2022
Sidmouth will be wash with music, dance and workshops for all ages during this four-day event. The dedicated children’s folk festival is staged across three workshop venues with crafts, family-friendly shows and story times.
Find out more about the festival programme and children’s festival activities on the website.
North Devon Show, Umberleigh – 3 August, 2022
This celebration of North Devon’s agricultural roots offers plenty of opportunity to see the region’s finest livestock in the arena. There’s also arena shows, vintage vehicles, family activities and trade stalls.
For full details about what will be happening at the show see the website.
Honiton Show, Honiton – 4 August, 2022
Head to this traditional farming show to see one of the county’s largest one-day celebrations of agriculture. Honiton offers a fantastic showcase of local farming, produce and rural skills that will entertain the whole family.
For the latest updates and event programme see the Honiton Show website.
The Little Big Festival – 12-13 August 2022
The Little Big Festival in Ashburton, South Devon, is a festival over a day and a half, packed full of music, arts and workshops.
The line-up for this festival is bursting with comedy, art, literature, circus and trapeze acts, as well as horticulture, film, talks, workshops and children’s entertainment. The event is run by the people behind Ashburton Food Festival so you can expect lots of scrummy Devon delicacies too.
Find out more and book tickets on The Little Big Festival website.
Newton Abbot Country Show, Newton Abbot – TBC August 2022
This fun-filled family event promises to have plenty for the whole family to enjoy including farm animals, pony rides and a children’s play area, as well as more than 80 stalls. There’ll be food for all tastes and a beer garden to enjoy a cool drink before continuing your visit.
Find out more about Newton Abbot Country Show.
RHS Garden Rosemoor Flower Show – 19 – 21 August 2022
The only RHS Garden Flower Show in the South West returns with floral displays, plants and sundries to buy, delicious food and drink, flower-arranging demonstrations, specialist talks and live music.
Find out more and book tickets.
Plymouth Firework Championships, Plymouth – 17-18 August 2022
The Championships are a spectacle not to be missed and take place overlooking Plymouth Harbour and Sound for extra sea view drama. This is the premier firework display in the country, attracting tens of thousands of people each year.
The fireworks will start from around 9.30pm each evening. There’s entertainment, including a funfair, and food and drink stalls to enjoy on Plymouth Hoe before the spectacle begins.
The event is free to attend.
For the latest event news and information see the Plymouth Firework Championships.
Torbay Royal Regatta, Torquay – 18 -22 August, 2022
This sailing event takes place between Torquay and Paignton on the English Riviera in South Devon.
For more information see the Regatta website.
Beautiful Days, Escot Park – 19 – 21 August, 2022
Beautiful Days is an family music festival organised by The Levellers. There are several stages, art installations, a wild spa, walkabout theatre and folk sessions as well as food and craft stalls.
Find out more and how to get tickets on the festival website.
Dartmouth Royal Regatta, Dartmouth – 24 – 27 August, 2022
Devon’s royal regatta hosts sports, sailing and family events throughout the three days, plus a ball and live music festival.
You can also see impressive visiting ships moored on the River Dart throughout the festivities. Families will love the children’s fancy dress competition, scavenger hunt and a shopping village showcasing local companies.
To see the full regatta programme visit the Dartmouth Royal Regatta website.
Gone Wild Festival – 25 – 28 August 2022
TV adventurer Bear Grylls is returning to Powderham Castle with his Gone Wild Festival over the Bank Holiday weekend.
There will be a program of exciting outdoor activities for families as well as some top headline music acts including The Script, All Saints, Sophie Ellis-Bexter and Reef
Find all ticket and camping pass prices on the Gone Wild Festival website.
Read my round up of all the family-friendly festivals in Devon in 2022.
Sidmouth Airshow – 26 August 2022
The Airshow returns to Sidmouth in 2022. Keep an eye out for more information about the displays and aircraft taking part nearer to the event.
Find out more about Sidmouth Airshow.
Family attractions to visit in Devon this August
Here’s your guide to great days out to be had in Devon in August 2022:
Theme Parks in Devon
- Crealy Theme Park and Resort, Exeter
- Woodlands Family Theme Park, Dartmouth, South Devon – read about our visit to Woodlands
- Diggerland Devon, Cullompton, East Devon
- The Milky Way, Bideford, North Devon
- The Big Sheep, Abbotsham, North Devon
- Watermouth Castle, Ilfracombe, North Devon
Find out more about Devon’s theme parks.
Maize mazes in Devon
Maize maze days are here again. Here’s where to find them in Devon:
- South Devon Maize Maze, Churchstow, Kingsbridge
- The Orange Elephant, Kennford, Exeter
- Darts Farm, Topsham
- Jolly Farm, Silverton, Exeter
- The World of Country Life, Exmouth
Devon zoos and animal days out
- Wildwood Escot, Ottery Saint Mary, East Devon
- Totnes Rare Breeds Farm, Totnes, South Devon – read about our visit
- Paignton Zoo, Paignton, South Devon – read about our visit
- Exmoor Zoo, Barnstaple, North Devon
- Dartmoor Zoo, Sparkwell, Dartmoor
- Pennywell Farm, Buckfastleigh, South Devon
- Combe Martin Wildlife & Dinosaur Park, Ilfracombe, North Devon
- World of Country Life, Exmouth, East Devon
- Dartmoor Miniature Pony Centre, North Bovey, Dartmoor
Find out more about Devon’s zoos.
Outdoor activities in Devon
- Bicton Park, East Budleigh, East Devon
- Devon Sculpture Park, Exeter
- RHS Rosemoor, Torrington, North Devon
- Powderham Castle, Exeter
- The Bear Trail, Cullompton, East Devon
- Canonteign Falls, Chudleigh, Dartmoor – read about our visit to Canonteign Falls
- River Dart Country Park, Ashburton, Dartmoor
- Babbacombe Model Village, Torquay, South Devon
- Hartland Abbey, Hartland, North Devon
- Becky Falls, Manaton, Dartmoor
- Clovelly Village, Clovelly, North Devon
- Go Ape Haldon Forest, Exeter
- English Riviera Wheel, Torquay, South Devon
- Splashdown Quaywest, Paignton, South Devon
- Stuart Line Cruises, Exmouth, East Devon
- The Golden Hind, Brixham, South Devon
- Quince Honey Farm, South Molton, North Devon
- Abseiling and climbing on Dartmoor, various locations
Trams and steam trains in Devon
Here are the Devon steam trains and trams running during August. Please note that these are public transport and therefor masks will be required for anyone aged 11 and older.
- Dartmouth Steam Railway, Dartmouth/Paignton, South Devon
- Seaton Tramway, Seaton, East Devon
- Babbacombe Cliff Railway, Torquay, South Devon
- Devon Railway Centre, Bickleigh, Mid-Devon
- Lynton and Barnstaple Railway, Lynton, North Devon
- Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway, Lynton, North Devon
Action-packed Devon days out with teens
If you are looking for high ropes, water sports and outdoor adventures to try with teenagers check out my post about things to do in Devon with teens.
Best days out with toddlers
Looking for the best things to do with toddlers? Here’s the Devon days out where you’ll find easy pushchair access, baby changing and that all important cafe.
Dog-friendly Devon days out
If you are after places to visit with a pooch, here’s my guide to dog-friendly Devon days out.
Free things to do in Devon this summer
Days out can be soooo expensive. If you are looking for ideas I have a list of free things to do in Devon.
What to do when it rains in Devon
Sadly it’s not always sunny in Devon. Here’s a few things to do in Devon on wet days this summer:
- Bygones, Torquay, South Devon
- Seaton Jurassic, Seaton, East Devon
- Clip and Climb, Plymouth
- Kents Cavern, Torquay, South Devon
- Dinosaur World, Torquay, South Devon
- National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth
- The Box, Plymouth – read about our visit to The Box
- The House of Marbles, Bovey Tracey, South Devon – read about our visit
- iBounce, Exeter –
- Torre Abbey, Torquay
- Brixham Heritage Museum, Brixham
- Torquay Museum, Torquay
- RAMM museum in Exeter
You can also go pottery painting at various places around Devon:
- Something Lovely Pottery Painting, Sidmouth, East Devon
- China Blue, Totnes, South Devon
- Tarka Pottery, Little Torrington, North Devon
Here’s more ideas for things to do in Devon in the rain.
Visit a Devon beach
You can’t visit Devon with kids and not go to the seaside.
And if you are looking for something a bit more off the beaten track check out these hidden beaches in Devon.
Outdoor pools and splash parks
Outdoor swimming pools are open now! Here’s a list of where to find them as well as splash pads and water parks in Devon.
Devon walks with kids
Who’s up for some fresh air? Countryside and coast walks abound in Devon making lots of socially distanced days out possible in August.
Dartmoor and Exmoor National Parks have plenty of routes where you can get away from the crowds and enjoy a quiet ramble.
Devon country parks also offer level paths for walking and cycling with kids. Car parks and some facilities are open to visitors too:
- Decoy Country Park, Newton Abbot, South Devon
- Stover Country Park, Newton Abbot, South Devon
- Haldon Forest Park near Exeter
- Cockington Country Park, Torquay, South Devon
National Trust in Devon
There’s plenty of amazing National Trust places and properties to explore in Devon.
Find out what’s open by visiting the National Trust website.
Are you planning your days out in Devon this summer? Why not save this post about what’s on and things to do in Devon in August on Pinterest. If you’ve spotted I’ve missed something let me know! Comment below or email me.
Would you like more Devon goodies delivered to your inbox? Sign up to the Devon with Kids newsletter.