Things to do with kids at home
Whatever the reason for not being able to get outside – rain, pandemics or just wanting a PJ day, this post includes lots of things to do with kids at home that have a Devon twist. And the best bit? They’re all free!
Here’s my resources for families to dig into at home:
Free Devon activity book
I’ve teamed up with the very talented travel book peeps, Deliberate Travel Kids, to create a Devon activity book. And it’s free!
This activity book is designed for six to 12-year-olds and helps to to dig deeper into Devon’s history, places and the lives of its famous people. There are quizzes and puzzles based online and to print out.
Find out more about about the Devon activity book and how to access it for FREE!
Learning resources from Devon attractions
Devon’s attractions and tourism organisations have been pulling out all the stops to offer families online fun and learning opportunities.
Here’s where you can find them:
- The National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth is doing free online Key Stage 2 science lessons and story time with a REAL mermaid each Friday. Watch live and catch up on the NMA website.
- Paignton Zoo has animal themed PE, art, maths and literacy activities for kids from Key Stage 1 to 3 on its website.
- RAMM in Exeter has dedicated a huge area of its website to online games, craft activity ideas and learning resources linked to its museum collection.
- Check out Devon Wildlife Trust‘s wild learning hub for nature activities that you can do at home.
- The Box in Plymouth has published a series of challenges that are linked to the curriculum.
Have a go at our Devon quiz
You can answer the questions online or download it to try offline with your family and friends.
Printable activities for kids
I have pulled together some Devon-themed printable activities for kids including word searches and colouring sheets. Download, print and enjoy!
Go to a virtual zoo
Bake some Devon treats
Nothing list the mood in our house quite like baking. Take a look at our collection of Devon recipes for inspiration.
Check out Devon webcams and virtual tours
Check out my post about Devon webcams and virtual tours around the county. You can Visit Devon attractions online and take interactive tours of one of its best known landmarks.
Do some art
Other colouring templates are available from artist Johanna Basford.
Take a really wild challenge
The RSPB Wild Challenge is something you can do at in a garden or on a walk from home. There’s even certificates to be won!
I’m not the craftiest person and struggle with ideas myself. But when you are looking for things to do with kids at home this has to be pretty high up the list.
Here’s some websites that give you easy guides to creating amazing arts and crafts with kids:
- Rainy Day Mum – Cerys has loads of activities to do with kids indoors and in any outdoor space you might have
- Museum Mum – Vyki is sharing where you can find virtual museum tours
- Five Minute Mum – Daisy has lots of ideas for games to play with little kids
- Red Ted Art – Maggie shares easy crafts to do with children
- Mum in the Mad House – Jen has so many ideas for things to do with kids of all ages on her blog
- Twins, Tantrums and Cold Coffee – Helen is very much like me when it comes to crafts. She has pulled together lots of easy craft ideas for parents who hate crafting!
If you’re getting travel withdrawal symptoms then take a look at this round up of virtual getaways and days out.
Lonely Planet has shared virtual tours of world wonders, museums and national parks. And I love the National Geographic Kids website for quizzes, games, videos and activities inspire by places and animals from around the world.
What activities will you be doing with your kids at home in Devon?
Got a while to stay? Here’s our BIG guide to family holidays in Devon.
Save and share this post about things to do with kids at home.