10 things to do in Devon in the rain
Urgh! Rainy days can be the nemesis of family fun, especially in Devon where we all want to be outside enjoying the countryside, coast and brilliant family attractions. But the great British weather happens. So what can you do? Luckily I have 10 suggestions for things to do in Devon in the rain.
Whether you are looking for things to do in North Devon in the rain or things to do on a rainy day in South Devon, here’s some inspiration to keep the good times rolling.
PLEASE NOTE: due to COVID-19 not all attractions and activity centres are open yet. Those that are open will be operating a little differently. Booking may be necessary and social distancing measures will be in place. Please check with each business before you visit to avoid disappointment.
1. Devon attractions to visit in the rain
Devon has a bunch of family attractions that are indoors or mostly undercover. Here’s the ones to visit when it’s a rainy day in Devon:
- Bygones, Torquay, South Devon
- Seaton Jurassic, Seaton, East Devon – Please note that Seaton Jurassic is looking for a new operator. Check its website for more information about its future.
- Kents Cavern, Torquay, South Devon
- National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth
- The Box, Plymouth
- The House of Marbles, Bovey Tracey, South Devon
- Torre Abbey, Torquay, South Devon
- Brixham Heritage Museum, Brixham, South Devon
- Torquay Museum, Torquay, South Devon
2. Pottery painting and crafts
If your kids have an artistic streak, and even if you don’t, take them pottery painting on a wet day in Devon. You’ll find pottery painting in Devon at:
- Something Lovely Pottery Painting in Sidmouth, East Devon
- China Blue in Totnes, South Devon
- Poppins Pottery in Torquay, South Devon
- Honiton Pottery in Honiton, East Devon
- Tarka Pottery at Little Torrington, North Devon
- Paint Pots of Devon, North Devon
- Pom Stitch Tassel, Newton Abbot, South Devon
3. Ride a Devon steam train or tram
All aboard for undercover fun on a Devon steam train or tramway.
- Dartmouth Steam Railway, Dartmouth/Paignton, South Devon
- Seaton Tramway, Seaton, East Devon
- Babbacombe Cliff Railway, Torquay, South Devon
- Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway, Lynton, North Devon
- South Devon Railway, Buckfastleigh, South Devon
4. Devon theme parks
When it comes to being prepared for things to do in Devon in the rain, theme parks have got you covered. There’s large indoor play areas at them parks in Devon, particularly Woodlands near Dartmouth in South Devon, Crealy at Exeter and The Milky Way and The Big Sheep in North Devon.
Here’s more about theme parks in Devon.
5. Indoor climbing
A top thing to do on a wet day in Devon is climbing. Here’s where you’ll find indoor climbing walls in Devon:
- The Quay Climbing Centre in Exeter
- Clip N’ Climb Exeter
- Clip N’ Climb Plymouth
- Dart Rock Climbing Centre, Buckfastleigh
- Rock and Rapid
- The Wall in the Hall
6. Trampoline centres
Another rainy day activity bound to keep the kids happy is bouncing. Here’s where you’ll find trampoline centres in South, East and North Devon:
- iBounce Newton Abbot and Exeter
- Super Tramp in Plymouth
- The Barn Indoor Climbing Wall in Tavistock
- Wall in the Hall in Tiverton
- Air Extreme in Barnstaple
7. Go bowling
If the rain is pouring why not challenge your family to a bowling contest. Here’s where you’ll find bowling in Devon:
Bowling in Plymouth
Bowling in Exeter
Bowling in South Devon
Bowling in East Devon
Bowling in North Devon
Looking for more activities teens will love? Check out my recommended things to do in Devon with teenagers.
8. Cinemas in Devon
Take your mind off the weather by seeing the latest blockbusters or arthouse flick at a cinema in Devon. Here’s where you’ll find them:
Cinemas in Plymouth
Cinemas in South Devon
- Vue Cinema Paignton
- Central Cinema Torquay
- Palace Theatre Paignton
- Totnes Cinema
- Kings Cinema, Kingsbridge
Cinemas in North Devon
- Neo Cinema Woolacombe (part of Woolacombe Bay Hotel)
- Scott Cinemas Barnstaple
- Bideford Cinema
- Lynton Cinema
- Embassy Cinema Ilfracombe
Cinemas in Exeter
Cinemas in East Devon
9. Soft play
When you have young kids, soft play is a life saver on a wet day. Here’s where you’ll find soft play in Devon:
- Bear Feet in Exeter and Newton Abbot
- Funderzone in Barnstaple
- Monsters Mansion in Tiverton
- Let’s Go Barnstaple
- Jump in Plymouth
- Wait 2 Play in Crediton
- Sam’s Funhouse in Exmouth
- Planet Play in Crediton
- Plymouth Soft Play Cafe
10. Stay in!
Would you like more Devon goodies delivered to your inbox? Sign up to the Devon with Kids newsletter.
Is the great British weather threatening to fail you? Why not save this post about things to do in Devon in the rain on Pinterest for future reference.